CNRS research professor at the Aix-Marseille School of Economics
Part-time professor at Sciences Po Paris
● CNRS research professor ('Directeur de Recherche') in economics, affiliated to GREQAM at the Aix-Marseille School of Economics (AMSE).
● Professor (part-time) at the economics department, Sciences Po Paris.
● CEPR research affiliate.
● Member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Economic Geography, Journal of Urban Economics and Regional Science and Urban Economics.
● Field: economic geography, urban economics, labour economics.
● Google Scholar page, REPEC page (stats).
2, Rue de la Charité
13 236 Marseille cedex 2
email: ppcombes 'at' gmail.com
tel (Marseille): +33 (0)4 91 14 07 33
tel (Aix): +33 (0)4 42 91 34 29
fax: +33 (0)4 91 90 02 27
● Gender and competition: Evidence from academic promotions in France, with Clément Bosquet and Cecilia Garcia-Peñalosa. CEPR DP 9711 updated (PDF).
● The cost of agglomeration: Land prices in cities, with Gilles Duranton and Laurent Gobillon. CEPR DP 9240 (PDF).
● Do large departments make academics more productive? Agglomeration and peer effects in research, with Clément Bosquet. CEPR DP 9401 (PDF).
● Neighbor Discrimination:Theory and evidence from the French rental market (previously: The neighbor is king: Customer discrimination in the housing market), with Bruno Decreuse, Benoît Schmutz, and Alain Trannoy. CEPR DP 9160 updated (PDF).
Back to Top
● Customer discrimination and employment outcomes: Theory and evidence from the French labor market, with Bruno Decreuse, Morgane Laouénan, and Alain Trannoy.
Journal of Labor Economics, forthcoming (PDF, online appendix).
● The empirics of agglomeration economies, with Laurent Gobillon.
In Handbook of Urban and Regional Economics, vol. 5, G. Duranton, V. Henderson and W. Strange (eds.), Elsevier-North Holland, Amsterdam (2015).
● Migration externalities in China, with Sylvie Démurger and Shi Li.
European Economic Review 76, 152–167 (2015).
● Product complexity, quality of institutions and the pro-trade effect of immigrants, with Anthony Briant and Miren Lafourcade.
The World Economy 37 (1), 63–85 (2014).
● Are academics who publish more also more cited? Individual determinants of publication and citation records, with Clément Bosquet.
Scientometrics 97, 831–857 (2013).
● The productivity advantages of large cities: Distinguishing agglomeration from firm selection, with Gilles Duranton, Laurent Gobillon, Diego Puga and Sébastien Roux (PDF). Web appendix (PDF). Online documentation for replication can be found here.
Econometrica 80 (6), 2543–2594 (2012).
● Sorting and local wage and skill distributions in France, with Gilles Duranton, Laurent Gobillon, and Sébastien Roux.
Regional Science and Urban Economics 42, 913–930 (2012).
● The rise and fall of spatial inequalities in France: A long-run perspective, with Miren Lafourcade, Jacques-François Thisse and Jean-CLaude Toutain.
Explorations in Economic History 48, 243–271 (2011).
● Competition, market access and economic geography: Structural estimations and predictions for France, with Miren Lafourcade.
Regional Science and Urban Economics 41, 508–524 (2011).
● The identification of agglomeration economies, with Gilles Duranton and Laurent Gobillon.
Journal of Economic Geography 11, 253-266 (2011).
● The empirics of economic geography: How to draw policy implications?
Review of World Economics 147, 567–592 (2011).
● Some empirical results from economic geography and their regional policy implications, the European experience
Integration and Trade Journal, 31, 13-22 (2010).
● Dots to boxes: Do the size and shape of geographical units jeopardize economic geography estimations?, with Anthony Briant and Miren Lafourcade.
Journal of Urban Economics, 67, 287–302 (2010).
● Estimating Agglomeration Economies with History, Geology, and Worker Effects, with Gilles Duranton, Laurent Gobillon and Sébastien Roux.
In Agglomeration Economics, Edward L. Glaeser (ed.), NBER, Cambridge, MA (2010).
● Economic Geography: The Integration of Regions and Nations, with Thierry Mayer and Jacques-François Thisse.
Princeton University Press (2008), Chinese version Remnin University Press, French version Economica (2006). More details.
● Spatial Wage Disparities: Sorting Matters!, with Gilles Duranton and Laurent Gobillon.
Journal of Urban Economics, 63, 723-742 (2008).
● Publish or Peer-rich? The Role of Skills and Networks in Hiring Economics Professors, with Laurent Linnemer and Michael Visser.
Labour Economics, 15, 423–441 (2008).
● Gravity Models.
In The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, 2nd edition, S. Durlauf and L. Blume (eds.), Macmillan, London (2008).
● Labor Pooling, Labor Poaching, and Spatial Clustering, with Gilles Duranton.
Regional Science and Urban Economics 36, 1-28 (2006).
● Agglomeration and the Adjustment of the Spatial Economy, with Gilles Duranton and Henry G. Overman.
Papers in Regional Science 84, 311-349 (2005).
● The Trade Creating Effects of Business and Social Networks: Evidence from France, with Miren Lafourcade and Thierry Mayer.
Journal of International Economics 66, 1-29 (2005).
● Transport Costs: Measures, Determinants, and Regional Policy Implications for France, with Miren Lafourcade.
Journal of Economic Geography 5, 319–349 (2005).
● The Dynamics of Local Employment in France, with Thierry Magnac and Jean-Marc Robin.
Journal of Urban Economics 56, 217-243 (2004).
● The Spatial Distribution of Economic Activities in the European Union, with Henry G. Overman.
In Handbook of Urban and Regional Economics, vol. 4, V. Henderson and J.-F. Thisse (eds.), Elsevier-North Holland, Amsterdam (2004).
● Climatic Information from δ13C in plants by Combining Statistical and Mechanistic Approaches, with Guillemette Ménot-Combes and Steve J. Burns.
The Holocene 14 (6), 931-939 (2004).
● Where are the Economists who Publish? Publication Concentration and Stock Rankings in Europe, with Laurent .
Journal of the European Economic Association 1, 1250-1308 (2003).
● The International Impact of French Research Articles in Economics (in French), with Laurent Linnemer.
Revue Economique 54, 181-217 (2002).
● The Publication of Research Journal Articles in Economics in France (in French), with Laurent Linnemer.
Annales d’Economie et de Statistique 62, 5-50 (2001).
● Intermodal Competition and Regional Inequalities, with Laurent Linnemer.
Regional Science and Urban Economics 30, 131-184 (2000).
● Economic Structure and Local Growth: France, 1984-1993.
Journal of Urban Economics 47, 329-355 (2000).
Reprinted in Recent Developments in Urban and Regional Economics, P. C. Cheshire and G. Duranton (eds.), The International Library of Critical Writings in Economics series, Edward Elgar, (2005).
● Common Market with Regulated Firms, with Bernard Caillaud and Bruno Jullien.
Annales d’Economie et de Statistique 47, 65-100 (1997).
● Industrial Agglomeration under Cournot Competition.
Annales d’Economie et de Statistique 45, 161-182 (1997).
Back to Top
● Urban and Regional Economics (Sciences Po Paris, Master Economics and Public Policy - PhD Track and Aix-Marseille University AMSE master 2).
● Economics of the Large Metropolis (Sciences Po Paris, Master Governing the Large Metropolis).
● Economic Geography (formerly at ENSAE 3 and PSE APE Master 2).
Back to Top
● Full CV in English. PDF.
● Full CV in French. PDF.
Back to Top
● Report in French on the Comparisons of Econlit and Google Scholar Publication Measures, with Clément Bosquet (PDF, extended abstract).
● Report in French on the Publications in Economics in France, 1998-2008, with Clément Bosquet and Laurent Linnemer (PDF, extended abstract).
● Inferring missing citations: A quantitative multi-criteria ranking of all journals in economics, with Laurent Linnemer. GREQAM DP 2010-25 (PDF).
Extra-tables with ranks and weights of all journals: with the econ correction, without the econ correction.
● Marshall-Arrow-Romer externalities and city growth, CERAS WP 99-06 (PDF).
● Signalling effects of strategic trade policy, with Bernard Caillaud et Bruno Jullien, CREST WP 96-31 (PDF).
Back to Top