● CNRS research professor ('Directeur de Recherche') in economics, affiliated to GREQAM at Aix-Marseille School of Economics (AMSE)
● CEPR research affiliate
● Teaching at Aix-Marseille University-AMSE, ENSAE, and EHESS-Paris School of Economics
● Director of the PhD programme at AMSE
● Member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Economic Geography, Journal of Urban Economics and Regional Science and Urban Economics
● Fields: economic geography, international trade, economics of science, industrial organization, applied econometrics
2, Rue de la Charité
13 236 Marseille cedex 2
tel (Marseille) : +33 (0)4 91 14 07 33
tel (Aix) : +33 (0)4 42 93 59 89
fax: +33 (0)4 91 90 02 27
● Do large departments make academics more productive? Agglomeration and peer effects in research, with Clément Bosquet. CEPR DP 9401 (PDF).
● Urbanization and Migration Externalities in China, with Sylvie Démurger and Shi Li. CEPR DP 9352 (PDF).
● The cost of agglomeration: Land prices in cities, with Gilles Duranton and Laurent Gobillon. CEPR DP 9240 (PDF).
● The neighbor is king: Customer discrimination in the housing market, with Bruno Decreuse, Benoît Schmutz, and Alain Trannoy. CEPR DP 9160 updated (PDF).
● Customer Discrimination and Employment Outcomes: Theory and Evidence from the French Labor Market, with Bruno Decreuse, Morgane Laouénan, and Alain Trannoy. GREQAM DP 2011-36 (PDF).
Back to Top
● Are academics who publish more also more cited? Individual determinants of publication and citation records, with Clément Bosquet. AMSE WP 2012-36 (PDF).
● Product Complexity, Quality of Institutions and the Pro-Trade Effect of Immigrants, with Anthony Briant and Miren Lafourcade. CEPR DP 7192 (PDF).
The World Economy, forthcoming.
● The productivity advantages of large cities: Distinguishing agglomeration from firm selection, with Gilles Duranton, Laurent Gobillon, Diego Puga and Sébastien Roux (PDF). Web appendix (PDF). Online documentation for replication can be found here.
Econometrica 80 (6), 2543–2594 (2012).
● Sorting and local wage and skill distributions in France, with Gilles Duranton, Laurent Gobillon, and Sébastien Roux.
Regional Science and Urban Economics 42, 913–930 (2012).
● The rise and fall of spatial inequalities in France: A long-run perspective, with Miren Lafourcade, Jacques-François Thisse and Jean-CLaude Toutain.
Explorations in Economic History 48, 243–271 (2011).
● Competition, market access and economic geography: Structural estimations and predictions for France, with Miren Lafourcade.
Regional Science and Urban Economics 41, 508–524 (2011).
● The identification of agglomeration economies, with Gilles Duranton and Laurent Gobillon.
Journal of Economic Geography 11, 253-266 (2011).
● The empirics of economic geography: How to draw policy implications?
Review of World Economics 147, 567–592 (2011).
● Some empirical results from economic geography and their regional policy implications, the European experience
Integration and Trade Journal, 31, 13-22 (2010).
● Dots to boxes: Do the size and shape of geographical units jeopardize economic geography estimations?, with Anthony Briant and Miren Lafourcade.
Journal of Urban Economics, 67, 287–302 (2010)
● Estimating Agglomeration Economies with History, Geology, and Worker Effects, with Gilles Duranton, Laurent Gobillon and Sébastien Roux.
In Agglomeration Economics, Edward L. Glaeser (ed.), NBER, Cambridge, MA (2010).
● Economic Geography: The Integration of Regions and Nations, with Thierry Mayer and Jacques-François Thisse.
Princeton University Press (2008), Chinese version Remnin University Press, French version Economica (2006). More details
● Spatial Wage Disparities: Sorting Matters!, with Gilles Duranton and Laurent Gobillon.
Journal of Urban Economics, 63, 723-742 (2008).
● Publish or Peer-rich? The Role of Skills and Networks in Hiring Economics Professors, with Laurent Linnemer and Michael Visser.
Labour Economics, 15, 423–441 (2008).
● Gravity Models.
In The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, 2nd edition, S. Durlauf and L. Blume (eds.), Macmillan, London (2008).
● Labor Pooling, Labor Poaching, and Spatial Clustering, with Gilles Duranton.
Regional Science and Urban Economics, 36, 1-28 (2006).
● Agglomeration and the Adjustment of the Spatial Economy, with Gilles Duranton and Henry G. Overman.
Papers in Regional Science, 84, 311-349 (2005).
● The Trade Creating Effects of Business and Social Networks: Evidence from France, with Miren Lafourcade and Thierry Mayer.
Journal of International Economics, 66, 1-29 (2005).
● Transport Costs: Measures, Determinants, and Regional Policy Implications for France, with Miren Lafourcade.
Journal of Economic Geography, 5, 319–349 (2005).
● The Dynamics of Local Employment in France, with Thierry Magnac and Jean-Marc Robin.
Journal of Urban Economics, 56, 217-243 (2004).
● The Spatial Distribution of Economic Activities in the European Union, with Henry G. Overman.
In Handbook of Urban and Regional Economics, vol. 4, V. Henderson and J.-F. Thisse (eds.), Elsevier-North Holland, Amsterdam (2004)
● Climatic Information from δ13C in plants by Combining Statistical and Mechanistic Approaches, with Guillemette Ménot-Combes and Steve J. Burns.
The Holocene, 14 (6), 931-939 (2004).
● Where are the Economists who Publish? Publication Concentration and Stock Rankings in Europe, with Laurent Linnemer.
Journal of the European Economic Association, 1, 1250-1308 (2003).
● The International Impact of French Research Articles in Economics (in French), with Laurent Linnemer.
Revue Economique, 54, 181-217 (2002).
● The Publication of Research Journal Articles in Economics in France (in French), with Laurent Linnemer.
Annales d’Economie et de Statistique, 62, 5-50 (2001).
● Intermodal Competition and Regional Inequalities, with Laurent Linnemer.
Regional Science and Urban Economics, 30, 131-184 (2000).
● Economic Structure and Local Growth: France, 1984-1993.
Journal of Urban Economics, 47, 329-355 (2000).
Reprinted in Recent Developments in Urban and Regional Economics, P. C. Cheshire and G. Duranton (eds.), The International Library of Critical Writings in Economics series, Edward Elgar, (2005)
● Common Market with Regulated Firms, with Bernard Caillaud and Bruno Jullien.
Annales d’Economie et de Statistique, 47, 65-100 (1997)
● Industrial Agglomeration under Cournot Competition.
Annales d’Economie et de Statistique, 45, 161-182 (1997).
Back to Top
● International Trade and Globalisation (ENSAE 2)
● Economic Geography (Aix-Marseille University AMSE master 2, ENSAE 3, EHESS-PSE APE Master 2)
Back to Top
● Full CV in English. PDF.
● Full CV in French. PDF.
Back to Top
● Report in French on the Comparisons of Econlit and Google Scholar Publication Measures, with Clément Bosquet (PDF, extended abstract).
● Report in French on the Publications in Economics in France, 1998-2008, with Clément Bosquet and Laurent Linnemer (PDF, extended abstract).
● Inferring missing citations: A quantitative multi-criteria ranking of all journals in economics, with Laurent Linnemer. GREQAM DP 2010-25 (PDF).
Extra-tables with ranks and weights of all journals: with the econ correction, without the econ correction.
● Marshall-Arrow-Romer externalities and city growth, CERAS WP 99-06 (PDF).
● Signalling effects of strategic trade policy, with Bernard Caillaud et Bruno Jullien, CREST WP 96-31 (PDF).
Back to Top