Updated December 2016
“Freedom in Economics: New perspectives in normative analysis”, Routledge Studies in
Social and Political Thought, 1998, 283 p, London. (with J.F. Laslier, M. Fleurbaey, N. Gravel).
Back to the top
Articles in Refereed Journals ( Papers in English*)
(* For my articles in French, see my CV in French or my website, I have about 40 articles in French in refereed Journals plus about other 56 articles in French in other supports (Books or other journals).
- "Topological aggregation of inequality preorders", Social Choice and Welfare, 2, 1985, 119-129 (with M.Lebreton and J.R. Uriarte).
- "On Thon's axiomatization of the Gini index", Mathematical Social Sciences, 11, 1986, 374-
- "Group decision making under uncertainty: A note on the aggregation of ordinal probabilities", Theory and Decision, 21, 1986, 155-161 (with J. Lainé and M.Lebreton).
- "Measures of inequality as an aggregation of individual preferences about income distribution;
the arrowian case", Journal of Economic theory, 41, 2, 1987, 248-269 (with M.Lebreton).
- "Inequality reducing properties of composite taxation" Journal of Economic Theory,
69, 1, 1996, 71-103 (with M.Lebreton and P.Moyes).
- “Consistency between tastes and values: A universalization approach" Social Choice and
Welfare, vol 17, 2, 2000, 293-320 (with N. Gravel and J.F.Laslier).
- "Shapley Inequality Decomposition By Factor Components: Some Methodological Issues", in
P.Moyes, C Seidl and A.F. Shorrocks (eds) Inequality: Theory, Measurement and Applications,
Journal of Economics (Zeitschift für Nationalalôkonomie), Supplement #9, 2002, 51-89 (with M. Sastre).
- "Literacy rate, Internet and Earnings Inequality", Louvain Economic Review, 68, 1-2, 2002, 125-148.
- "To what extent do fiscal regimes equalize opportunities for income acquisition among
citizens?", Journal of Public Economics, 87, no. 3/4, 2003, 539-565 (with J.Roemer, R. Aaberge,
U. Colombino, J. Fritzell, S. Jenkins, A. Lefranc, I. Marx, M. Page, E. Pommer, J. Ruiz-Castillo, M. J. San Segundo, T. Tranaes, G.Wagner, and I. Zubiri).
- “Voting under ignorance of unemployed skill: The bias toward overtaxation“, Journal of
Public Economics, 87, 2003, 595-626 (with J.F.Laslier and K.Van der Sraeten).
- "Welfare comparisons with bounded equivalence scales", Journal of Economic Theory, 110, 2003, 309-336 (with M. Fleurbaey and C. Hagneré).
- “The Impossibility of a Paretian Dominant”, Social Choice and Welfare, issue in
honour of Louis Gevers, 21, 2003, 243-263 (with M. Fleurbaey).
- “About the right weight of the social welfare function, when needs differ”, Economic Letters, 81,3, 2003, 383-387.
- "Protection of minorities through the average voting rule", Journal of Public Economic
Theory, 7, 2, 2005, 169-199 (with R.Renault).
- “Intergenerational earnings mobility in France? Is France more mobile than the US”, Annales
d’Economie et de Statistiques, 78, 2005, 57-78. (with A. Lefranc).
- “The Bayesian Average Voting Game with a Large Population”, Public Economics, issue in
memory of Louis-André Gérard-Varet, 17, 2005,155-167 (with R. Renault).
- "Measuring the social value of local public goods: An Empirical Analysis within Paris
Metropolitan Area”, Applied Economics, 38, 16, 2006, 1945-1961 (with N. Gravel and A.
- “Does less inequality among individuals mean less inequality among households”, Journal of Economic Theory, 133, 1, 2007, 568-578 (with E. Peluso).
- "Optimal linear Income tax when agents vote with their feet", Finanzarchiv, 62, 3, 2006,
393-415 (with L. Simula).
- "Tax and Public input competition", Economic Policy, 50, 2007, 387-430 (with A. Benassy,
- “Efficient tuition fees and subsidies”, Journal of the European Economic Association, vol.6, 6, 2008, 1211-1243 (with R.Gary-Bobo).
- "Inequality of opportunities vs. inequality of outcomes: Are Western societies all alike?", Review of Income and Wealth, 2008, 54, 4, 513-546 (with A.Lefranc et N. Pistolesi).
- "Poverty Orderings and intra-household Inequality: The lost axiom", Journal of Income Distribution, vol 18, 3-4, 2009, 24-33 (with E.Peluso).
- “Equality of opportunity and luck: Definitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France", Journal of Public Economics,
vol. 93, Issues 11-12, December 2009,
1189-1208 (with A.Lefranc and N.Pistolesi).
- “Optimal income tax under the threat of migration of top-income earners”, Journal of Public Economics, 94, 2010, 163-173 (with Laurent Simula).
- "Is power more evenly balanced in poor households?", Journal of Public Economics, vol. 94, Issues 7-8, August 2010, 493-507 (with H.Couprie and E. Peluso).
- “Inequality of Opportunities in Health in France: A First Pass”, Health Economics, 2010,
vol. 19, Issue 8, 921-938 (with F.Jusot, S.Tubeuf and M.Devaux).
- “A Dominance Approach to the Appraisal of the Distribution of Well-being across Countries”, Journal of Public Economics, 95, 2011, 239-246 (with C.Muller).
- "Detecting a change in wealth concentration without the knowledge of the wealth
distribution", Journal of Economic Inequality, vol. 9, 2011, 373-391 (with A. Michelangeli,
- “Measuring Circumstances: Francs or Ranks, does it matter?”, Research on Economic
Inequality, edited by Juan Gabriel Rodriguez Inequality of Opportunity: Theory and
Measurement, vol 19,Chap. 6 in : 131-156 (with Arnaud Lefranc, Nicolas Pistolesi).
- "Inequality Decomposition Values", Annales d’Economie et de Statistiques, 101-102, 2011,
n° en l’honneur de Maurice Salles, 13-36 (with Fréderic Chantreuil).
- “Assessing the extent of strategic manipulation: The average vote example”, SERIEs, the
Journal of the Spanish Economic Association, Issue in honor of Salvaldor Barbera, SERIEs:
vol. 2, Issue 4, 2011, 497-513 (with Régis Renault).
- "Shall we keep the highly-skilled at home? The optimal tax perspective", Social Choice and
Welfare, 2012, vol. 39, 4, 751-782 (with Laurent Simula).
- “Multidimensional Inequality Comparisons: A Compensation Perspective”, Journal of
Economic Theory, symposium on inequality and risk. (John Weymark and Thibault
Gajdos eds.), 2012, 147, 1427-1449 (with Christophe Muller).
- “Preserving Dominance Relations Through Disaggregation: The Evil and the Saint”, Social
Choice and Welfare, issue in honor of Maurice Salles, 2012, 2-3, 633-647 (with Eugenio Peluso).
- “Family taxation and Fertility : The French Experience”, Wirtschaftspolitische Blatter,
- “Inequality Decomposition Values: A trade-off between marginality and efficiency”, Journal of Economic Inequality, as a “Rediscovering Classics”, 2013, 83-98 (with Frédéric Chantreuil).
- "Even (mixed) risk lovers are prudent", American Economic Review, 2013,
103(4) (with David Crainich Louis Eckhoudt).
- “Circumstances and Efforts : How important is their correlation for the measurement of inequality of opportunity in health”, Health Economics, 2013 v. 22(12), 1470-1495 (with Sandy Tubeuf, and Florence Jusot).
- “Inequality of Opportunities in Health and the Principle of Natural Reward: Evidence from European Countries", Research on Economic Inequality, 21, 335-370 (with D Bricard, F Jusot, and S Tubeuf).
- “Welfare comparisons of income distributions and family size: An individualistic approach“, Journal
of Mathematical Economics, 2014, 51, 12-27 (with M Fleurbaey and C Hagneré).
- “Tax me if you can: Optimal Non Linear Income tax between Competing Governments”, Quarterly Journal of Economics, 2014, 129, 1995-2030 (with E.Lehmann and L.Simula).
- “Optimal Student Loans and Graduate Tax under Moral Hazard and Adverse Selection”, Rand Journal of Economics, 46-3, 2015, 546-576 (avec R. Gary-Bobo).
- "The nontake-up of long-term care benefit in France: a pecuniary motive?", Health Policy, vol 119, 10, 2015, 1338-1348 (with Y. Arrighi, B. Davin and B. Ventelou).
- “Customer Discrimination and Employment Outcomes: Theory and Evidence from the French Labor
Market”, Journal of Labor Economics, 2016, 34-1, 107-160 (with P.Combes, B.Decreuse, M.Laouénan).
- "Equality of Opportunity: Theory and Measurement", Journal of Economic Litterature, 2016, 54(4), 1288-1332 (with J. Roemer).
- "Equality of Opportunity : A progress Report" forthcoming in Revue d'Economie Politique.
Back to the top
Chapters in Edited Volumes and Others Articles
- "The stochastic ordering of income distributions over time : The discounted sum of the
expected utilities of incomes", in Social Choice, Welfare and Ethics, W.Barnett, H.Moulin, M.Salles et N.Schofield (eds) 1995, 375-408, Cambridge University Press (with T.Karcher,
- "Individual Freedom of choice in a social setting", in Freedom in economics: Newperspectives in Normative Analysis, Routledge, 1998 London (with N.Gravel, J.F.Laslier).
- "Freedom of choice and individual preferences: A comment on Clemens Puppe's individual freedom and social choice", in Freedom in economics : New perspectives in Normative Analysis, Routledge, 1998 London (with N.Gravel, J.F.Laslier).
- “Voting over Income Flat Tax Schedules: An incomplete information perspective“, Logic, Game Theory and Social Choice (H de Swart ed), 1999, Tilburg University Press, 226-238 (with J.F.Laslier and et K.Van der Sraeten).
- "Welfare comparisons among individuals under Samuelson’s model of households", in Household Behaviour, Equivalence Scales, Welfare and Poverty, C.Dagum and G.Ferrari (Eds), 2004, 11-28, Springer Verlag. (with E. Peluso).
- "Multidimensional Egalitarianism and the dominance approach: A lost paradise" in Inequality and Economic Integration, F.Farina and E.Savaglio éditeurs, Routledge 2006, 282-302.
- "When Kolm meets Mirrlees : ELIE" in Social Ethics and Normative
Economics: Essays in Honour of Serge-Christophe Kolm edited by M.Fleurbaey, M.Salles and J.Weymark, Springer Verlag, 2011, 193-216.
- “Dominance Criteria for Critical-Level Generalized Utilitarianism”, Arguments for a Better World, Essays in Honour of Amartya Sen, (Eds K.Basu and R.Kanbur), Oxford University Press,
vol. 1, Chap.15, 2008 (with J.Weymark).
- "Alan Kirman: a non-representative economist", introduction of the Special Issue of the Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization in honor of Alan Kirman, 64, 2007, 269-274 (with A. Casella, S. Thoron).
- "An exploration in incentive-compatible ELIE"n On Kolm's theory of macrojustice - A
Pluridisciplinary Forum of Exchange" Springer Verlag, (Michel Lubrano and Claude
Game eds.), 2011, 207-231. (with L.Simula).
- "Equity dimensions of transports policies”, in Handbook in Transport Economics, Edward Elgar (Eds A. de Palma, R. Lindsey, E. Quinet and R. Vickerman), Chap. 26, Routledge 2011,
- "Equality of Opportunity", in Handbook of Income Inequality, (Antony Atkinson and François Bourguignon eds.), Chapter 4, North-Holland, 2015, 217-300 (with J.Roemer).
- "Much do about nothing: The Solidarity tax on wealth (ISF) in France" in Proceedings of the Workshop' Taxing Wealth, Present, Past and Future, European Economic Series, discussion paper 003, 2015, 32-37.
- "Inequality and welfare: Is Europe Special" Chapter 12 forthcoming
in Economics without Borders - Economic Research for European Policy Challenges, (R. Blundell,
E. Cantillon, B. Chizzolini, M. Ivaldi, W. Leininger, R. Marimon, L. Matyas (coordinator), T. Ogden, and F.
Steen eds), Cambridge University Press.
Back to the top
- "Mathematical Utility Theory - Utility Functions, Models, and Applications in the Social
Sciences", by Herden and alii, Journal of Economics (Zeitschift für Nationalôkonomie),
2002, 76,3, 279-285.
- "Handbook On Income Inequality Measurement", by Jacques Silber, Kluwer, Social
Choice and Welfare, 2004, 22, 3, 579-583.
- "The Welfare State in the European Union: Economic and Social Perspectives", P.Pestieau,
Economics of Transition, 2007, 15, 7, 175-178.
Policy notes and Policy briefs
- “How should property prices be moderated” Note CAE n° 12. 2013 (with Etienne
- “Housing rental policy” Note CAE n° 10. 2013 (with Etienne Wasmer)
- “Tax harmonization in Europe: Moving Forward” Note CAE n° 14. 2014 (with Agnès Benassy and
- “Partial corporate tax harmonisation in the EU" 22 July 2014 Vox-EU. (with Agnès Benassy-
Quéré and Guntram Wolff)
Back to the top
Articles in Refereed Journals ( Papers in English)
Articles in Refereed Journals ( Papers in French)
Articles in Newspapers